Meeting:2015/10/08

From SUWS-Wiki

Meeting (to be) held from 18:00-20:00 on 2015/10/08 in Zepler CLS Lecture Room

 


New year Prep

  • Things to purchase
    • Kit_wishlist
      • They've arrived
    • End fed zepp
      • Murray to contact G-Whip guy, talk to Graeme first, we could invite him to do a talk on antenna design.
  • Bunfights Report
    • Bunfights went well
    • 141 sign-ups (give or take)
    • PiSSTV demo
    • HF radio demo w/end-fed Zepp strung to tree/traffic cone, some operation on the FPSE day including possible contact with Ukraine.
    • IC-7000 demo with morse sounding.
    • Static demos: nodes, dish, books
    • Lots of interest!
  • Emails for freshers
    • Murray will send this out later in the meeting
    • Will contain:
      • Welcome hello
      • List of upcoming events (intro meetings, newbie outing, Henry's licence conditions talk for already licensed people)
      • Mention of pub existing (so people don't eat)
      • Brief notes about what we do (in case people forget what the Wireless Society is)
      • Instructions on how to join the mailing list (sent in every email)

Initial Events

  • HF vertical on common to test set-up for freshers
    • Tentatively Sat 26th Sept.
    • Event page
    • Murray to send out email about it and update event page.
    • Meet Gower (Zepler) car park at 1pm
    • HF operation
    • FT-920, large battery, Graeme's end-fed Zepp, Morse's table, red box, Murray's folding chairs, assortment of food things for BBQ. Murray to bring portable BBQ.
  • Introductory sessions.
    • 1st of October and 8th of October
    • Murray and Henry/Russell/any other volunteers on the day to give presentation, Murray to find presentation
    • PiSSTV explanation
    • General Q&A/topics people would like to know about
    • SOWN presentation by Daveruss
    • Event Page
    • Event Page
  • Freshers outing
    • 15th of October
    • Intercourse (SUSU grass)
    • Later than usual pubbing
    • Arrive early (17:30) to help with setup if you can, newbies to arrive 18:00
    • Subject to weather
    • Light setup, FT-920, large battery, Graeme's end-fed Zepp, Morse's table, red box, Murray's folding chairs.
    • Goal is just to make contacts and do greeting message for non-licensees.
    • Event Page
  • Licence update presentation.
    • 22nd of October
    • Licence conditions have changed slightly over summer, UGs may not be aware fully.
    • Henry to give presentation to explain changes in licence conditions
    • Followed by cut-down meeting
    • Specifically invite already licenced newbies.
    • Obviously existing club members should come too.
    • No reminder email for newbie list, but a mention in the previous emails. Obviously reminder on mailing list as usual.
    • Event Page
  • Construction evening/weekend workshop
    • Murray to send out doodle poll.
    • Saturday/Sunday preferred, but perhaps a couple of Thursday doings. Why not both?
    • projects to consider
      • Slimjims
      • 10m antennas
      • designing the morse sounder
      • VFOs for intermediate applicants
    • date?

Mast

  • Director of union services discussing with E&F

Exam things

  • Next dates: Sun 11th Oct 10:00; Mon 7th Dec 19:00; deadlines 18th Sep and 16th Nov respectively.
    • Arthur and Jo{h,}n Fisher would like to Full (either date)

EMF 2016

  • 5th-7th August 2016
    • SUWS attendance?
  • Guildford!

Kit at M0NSA_QTH

  • pole and other bits should be catalogued and relocated
  • Diplexer, many missing bits to HF beam, 40m Softrock SDR, SOWN node
  • A load more poles at Dave's house.
  • They forgot the HF power amp, I suspect that will come back later

AOB (radio)

  • FCC are being literally Satan. They're potentially going to prevent people from using custom firmware on WiFi chipsets.
    • Moaning time over!
  • QSL card competition
    • Should be officially started after freshers arrive
    • Winner gets 25 QSL cards of own design (club gets 75 of winning design)
    • Only paid members can {be eligible for prize,vote} (delete as appropriate)
    • Rear design in competition as well.

Joint Agenda

Storage

  • Where / what has happened to our Zepler cupboard.
    • It's gone missing
    • There wasn't that much stuff in it but it would be a pain to lose (manuals/original boxes/mounting hardware).
    • Bill Swanton who is on leave possibly knows.
  • Second key for B32 cupboard.
  • cage 9 issues
    • CU and livesoc contacted

Social

  • Artemis
    • In a month where we have five Thursdays.
    • Now with working lights
    • suggested date: 29th

AOB

H&S training

  • Let's send Arihant, as he handles equipment, and he hasn't already been.

SOWN

See SOWN Agenda