Meeting:2014/11/06

From SUWS-Wiki

Meeting (to be) held from 18:00-20:00 on 2014/11/06 in Zepler CLS Lecture Room

 

Amateur Radio

Licence Exams

  • Next exam dates: List of full exam dates here
  • BRING FORMS HENRY
  • Send an email, Henry

OfCom Proposals?

  • Was looked at last time
  • OfCom webpage
  • Do we want to respond as a club (if it's still open)?
    • If we can do, we can do it in the doing next week.

Outings

  • Outing happened two weeks ago
    • Not many contacts; quite a lot of noise
    • Issues with forgetting kit caused a very delayed start
    • We should make a definitive list of what we need for outings
  • Upcoming rallies and similar events
  • Trips to IVARC / Southampton ARC meetings
    • Next Friday (14th) is IVARC auction. I can give a lift if people want to come. I will send out an email.

Antennas

CubeSat

They want a ground station, and have been asking SUSF. Maybe we could help?

They asked us to meet them a couple of weeks ago. They said they couldn't make it when we were meeting, and I haven't heard back since.

  • They are looking for someone to build a ground station (all of it)
    • Not using our antenna array as they want exclusive use. They're trying to get one on top of City Gateway.
      • Once they have a site they would be open for giving the radio club use as long as we don't interfere when they need to use it.

Shack in SUSU

  • Our old shack (office) is being turned into a meeting room.
  • Plan to try to get a corner in it for use as a shack when there's no meeting (or remote control when there is a meeting)
  • Had meeting with SUSU about this. It went well, the VP for Democracy and Creative Industries seems supportive of the idea.
  • Tyler is setting up a Doodle poll for meeting.

Newsletter

  • Wiki page | Google Doc
  • A few tweaks/finalisations required
    • Add VHF NFD, make it and end of academic year newsletter.
      • Collect VHF NFD pictures.
  • We need a list of people to whom to send it.
    • Phil is working on it.

QSL Cards

  • QSL card design competition
    • Photos taken at VHF NFD
    • Please design/submit designs ASAP.
    • Closing date TBD (but probably once we have funding for them)
    • Funding - see joint agenda


  • Received QSL cards
    • Tyler has them
    • We need to figure out what to do with them - scan them? Put them in an album?


Chilbolton Atmospheric Radio Observatory

  • Mentioned by Quintin - could probably get a free visit/tour as a uni club.
    • Maybe a good activity for 2014-15 newbies?
  • There is a pub nearby

Joint Agenda

Give Darren Money

  • Memberships are due, prices for the year are £10 for a student and £15 for staff/society alumni, and morse

SUSU

  • Moving to Creative Industries zone
    • I will chase this up, not heard anything
  • Funding round 2
    • Mast only
    • Prices for antennas, etc. (we want to buy them, since we can't afford things to break)
  • General discussion about matters SUSU

Mailing List

  • Anyone else need to be added to suws-members list?

Wiki logins

  • Talk to Dave N

Cupboard

  • We have a cupboard outside Zepler level 3 labs (north)
  • Joyce and Tyler have keys
    • We want Henry to have a key too, if possible. Henry will ask Joyce.
  • We need a signing book for kit
  • We need stickers for the books, Darren will sort these out.

AOB

Doing agenda

What to do next week in the doing. Please do not remove this section.

Ofcom consultation response

Write a quick email stating that we agree with the RSGB.

Outing items list

Make a definitive list for things we need for outings.

Finalising mast plans

Especially re funding.

SOWN

See SOWN Agenda