[[|]] | Current Meeting:
Meeting (to be) held from 18:00-20:00 on 2014/08/21 in Zepler CLS Lecture Room
New UHF/VHF transceiver
- Dave Newman has received reimbursement into his bank account.
- The Amateur Radio exam that never was on the 20th August
- Should we have a general rule not do exams in August as invigilator / room availability is always a bit patchy.
- Next exam dates: List of full exam dates here
- Mentioned by Quintin - could probably get a free visit/tour as a uni club.
- Maybe a good activity for 2014-15 newbies?
- VHF Field day (05/07/2014 -> 06/07/2014) - results?
- Possible for next year sites - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combe_Gibbet ? (field nearby belongs to the hang-gliding club)
- Can we collate the good photos on the photos page?
Spring End of academic year 2014 Newsletter Finalisation
- QSL card design competition
- Photos taken at VHF NFD
- Please design/submit designs ASAP.
- Closing date TBD (but probably once we have funding for them)
- Funding - see joint agenda
- Received QSL cards
- Tyler has them
- We need to figure out what to do with them - scan them? Put them in an album?
Shack in SUSU
- Our old shack (office) is being turned into a meeting room, maybe
- Plan to try to get a corner in it for use as a shack when there's no meeting (or remote control when there is a meeting)
- Would require us spending time/money putting our antennas back on our mast - funding application next year
- Ideas (sensible):
- 23cm at bottom
- SURGE FM broadcast above 23cm antenna (we'd help them get back on the air)
- HF antenna of some sort
- 70cm+2cm with dual-band rotator
- triband 2m/70cm/other vertical antenna on top of dual-band rotator
- Ideas (silly):
- Large SUWS flag on top concealing a loop antenna
- Ask SUSU TV if they're interested (short-range camera links)
- SOWN WiFi by coordinates
- Current status
- We have: Rotator, triband vertical, poles
- To build: 2m Yagi, 70cm Yagi, remote control computer
- To fix: HF antenna
- We might not have enough: coax
- Space Flight Society ARE interested in helping us.
- We should start talking to other societies, to see if they are interested.
- We should tell someone in SUSU that we're doing this.
- General discussion about matters SUSU
- Finding a more suitable zone, e.g. Creative Industries
- Funding round 1 has started. Deadline: 23:59 31st August
- Plans for Freshers / new members
- Room booking
- Dave Newman has received an email confirming we have Thursday 18:00-20:00 booking from week before Freshers' week until the end of June 2015 for Zepler CLS room 59/1257. This has been forwarded to committee.
- We should see if there is some way of checking this on-line or waiting until the first booked week and check the timetable outside the room, if they are still putting those up.
- Updating committee list.
- Is all the committee currently on the list at sown:Developers:MailingLists/Committee
- At very least Murray needs to be added.
- Maybe Phil can setup a committee [at] suws.org.uk, then we have control over it rather than having to ask ECS postmaster.
- However, it would be worth maintaining both, in case people accidentally continue to use the @sown.org.uk one.
No SOWN agenda this week.